Electroacoustic Laptop Performance using Pure Data
An intro to interactive audio using the graphical open source computer music platform, Pure Data. We'll cover some digital audio & musicianship basics and make some beeps, bonks, and various noises along the way. Bring a laptop, a mic, headphones, and things which make interesting sounds.
Length: 2-3 hours w/ concert
What You Need
- install Pure Data "vanilla" 0.47+
- grab the patches for the workshop: MicroOrchestra.zip
There are many additional objects that can be added to Pure Data, either from compiled source code or resuable patch abstractions. You can also download & install some externals using Help -> Find externals.
Here are a couple of useful patch-only libraries:
Pd needs to know where these libraries are located when it tries to create objects. You can place them in a location relative to your patches and add the path using the [declare] object or you can put them in a global location such as HOMEDIR/Pd/externals. See Preferences -> Path... to add global search paths.
Keep in mind, if you share patches which use external libraries, either include the patch abstractions and/or include information about which externals need to be installed.
- "Read the Manual" first: Help -> Pd Manual or Pd Help
- Books About Pd
- Pure Data FAQ
- Johannes Kreidler's Programming Electronic Music in Pd
- Ed Kelly's PD Workshop Wiki
A Few Projects Using Pd
- Voices & Piano - Peter Ablinger & IEM
- Egregore - Cyrille Henry & Nicolas Montgermont
- Slice//Jockey - Katja Vetter
- Music for Flesh II - Marco Donnarumma
- Black Vox - Chikashi Miyama
- Tvestroy - Danny Perreault & Thomas Fredericks
- Wind - Damian Stewart
- NodeBeat - Seth Sandler, et al.
- Pure Data Sequencer 2015 - mrp805
- 2018 May 11 Gulaschprogrammiernacht 18, Karlsruhe DE
- 2018 Jan 6 Tag der offenen Tür, ZKM | Center for Art & Media, Karlsruhe DE
- 2017 Apr 9 Emergent Digital Practices Spring Workshop series, University of Denver, Denver Colorado USA
Live recording of a short jam session by participants @ the EDP MicroOrchestra workshop, Apr 9 2017
Performers: Ben, Rich, Parker, & Dan