Exercise 5: Data
Create a sketch that displays data loaded from a text file source (.txt, .csv, .xml, or .json). The choice of visualization is up to you, it can be a traditional graph/chart or can be a more conceptual exercise ie. comparative image sizes, visual poetry, interaction activity, etc.
The data should be sourced online and properly attributed. Many government agencies have tons of available databases & downloads (NOAA, Census, NASA, etc). Don't go overboard on the amount of data, focus instead on how you represent it.
We will present in a small exhibition.
- Edward Tufte's Rules
- Processing.org tutorial: Data
- Jer Thorp online tutorial: Your Random Numbers: Getting Started with Processing and Data Visualization
- Till Nagel online tutorial: Processing RSS feeds
- Data section in in the Class Coding Examples
- US Census Data Visualization Gallery
- UbuWeb: Visual Poetry
- zipdecode - Ben Fry 1999
- They Rule
- Baby Name Voyager - Martin Wattenberg 2005
- Flight Patterns - Aaron Koblin
- wind map - Martin Wattenberg 2012